TOWNS & VILLAGES
Balnarring & Surrounds
Flinders & Surrounds
Frankston & Surrounds
Hastings & Surrounds
Mornington & Surrounds
Red Hill & Surrounds
Rosebud & Surrounds
Rye & Surrounds
Safety Beach & Hidden Harbour
Sorrento & Portsea
Tyabb & Surrounds
Bed & Breakfast
Caravan & Holiday Parks
Hotels & Motels
Self Contained & Other
Antiques & Collectables
Boat Hire & Jet Ski Hire
Day Spas & Hot Springs
Dolphin & Seal Swims
Historical Homes & Gardens
Markets & Fairs
Walks Parks & Wildlife
FOOD & DINING
Cinemas & Theatres
Go to Shopping Index
Go to Business Services Index
CHI Travel Insurance
Historical Facts - Mornington Peninsula
Collins Settlement - The Free Settlers, Civil Men and Military Officials
Ann Jane Hobbs - Free Settler
Her husband, Lieutenant William Hobbs R.N. died after a fall on the brig he was commanding and her oldest son was killed in action in Egypt. The dilution that the wise men of Whitehall may have had in mind did not involve marriage to those of convict stock. It involved the strengthening of respectable society.
Rebecca married John Ingle, overseer of convicts and had 8 children. Ann Jane married George Harris, the surveyor who traveled on the Ocean and had 2 children. Charity married William Collins, Hobarts first harbourmaster, founder of the Derwent River Whaling industry and thirty years her senior.
James Hobbs - Free Settler
John Ingle - Civil Oficial
On the voyage from Portsmouth, David Collins appointed John Ingle the inspector of public mechanics and artificers. On 1 July 1804 at Hobart he married Rebecca Hobbs. In October 1805 he resigned from his possition as inspector of public mechanics and artificers and became a private settler. He was granted land which he accepted near Bagdad. Ingle also acquired allotments in Hobart Town and other land by purchase and grant at Sorell and Green Ponds. Ingle left Van Diemen's Land for England in January 1818 in his own ship, the Spring. When he left he sold much of his land to Edward Lord In England, Ingle was able to increase his fortune by investments and trading ventures and was appointed a magistrate. Ingle died, aged 91, on 21 June 1872 at Orleigh, Devon. He left eight children in Van Diemen's Land by his first wife and two by his second wife in England. Ingle was probably the most successful of the early merchants in Van Diemen's Land.
George Prideaux Harris - Surveyor - Civil Official
George Harris spent his early years at Exeter in Devon. In 1803 he was appointed deputy surveyor to David Collins and traveled to Port Phillip Bay on the Ocean. Soon after the H.M.S. Calcutta arrived, Harris along with Lieutenant James Tuckey, William Collins and William Gammon set out in the Calcutta’s launch on a more detailed study of the area. They returned 10 days later having traveled around Port Philip Bay.
After David Collins moved the settlement to Van Diemans Land Harris was responsible for the surveying of land grants for the existing population and those who arrived as migrants, including released convicts from Norfolk Island. Harris explored the Derwent and Huon Rivers and the lakes of the central highlands of Tasmania.
He was appointed Magistrate at Hobart Town in June 1804, where he preserved law and order in a most difficult enviroment. He married Ann Jane Hobbs in February 1805 and had 2 children. In 1806 Harris was granted 100 acres at Sandy Bay where he established a farm.
Harris became involved in an unpleasant dispute with Lieutenant Edward Lord in December 1808 when the 2 men disagreed with the punishment given to a woman Lord had flogged. It seemed that Edward Lord was clearly in the wrong, although it was said that George Harris was drunk when the quarrel began!
Governor David Collins had appointed Harris deputy-commissary in 1809. In 1810, Harris editored the Derwent Star and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer, the first newspapers to be published in Tasmania. He passed away in Hobart on 16th October 1810, possibly from the effects of alcohol causing epilepsy.
Lieutenant Nicholas Pateshall - Marine - H.M.S. Calcutta
Nicholas Lechmere Pateshall was born in Herefordshire in 1781 to a prosperous family. He joined the Royal Navy before his 14th birthday. By the time he was 18 Pateshall had been promoted from midshipman to masters mate and had fought in battles which resulted in the capture or destruction of 20 French ships.
Pateshall did not stay with the Calcutta after her return to Sydney. He served on a number of ships including H.M.S. Ville de Paris, H.M.S. Kent, H.M.S. Polyphemus fighting against Napoleon. In 1811 he was promoted to Flag Lieutenant and later to commander of the HMS Shark. In November of 1811 while commanding HMS Polyhermus in the Bahamas he became ill with Bilious Fever.
He retired from the Royal Navy in 1816. Pateshall became active in civic affairs and in 1839 was mayor of Hereford, a city on the border of England and Wales. Pateshall was never married. He died on 18th October 1854.
Leonard Fosbrook - Civil Official - Ocean
When David Collins moved the settlement to Van Diemans Land, Fosbrook pitched his marquee on Hunter's Island, which became the site of the original commissariat store. For some years Fosbrook carried out his duties to Collins's entire satisfaction, but about August 1809 he resigned his office after a disagreement with the lieutenant-governor.
The position of Deputy Commissary was then given to George Harris. In April 1810 he travelled to Sydney with the news of Governor David Collins's death. While there he successfully sought reinstatement as deputy-commissary at Hobart Town. He was for a short time also appointed magistrate and first treasurer of the new police fund.
He had received a grant of 100 acres at Humphrey's Rivulet in 1804, and two years later another fourteen acres on a point overlooking Sullivan Cove, which he named Fosbrook's Point. In 1811-12 the latter grant was taken back on Governor Lachlan Macquarie’s instructions as 'the Site for the intended Government House', and renamed Macquarie Point. As compensation Fosbrook took up another 500 acres near the Coal River.
Soon after his reappointment as deputy-commissary, rumours reflecting on his integrity began to circulate. In 1811 his former convict-assistant, Francis Shipman, charged him with defrauding the revenue by issuing forged receipts between 1807 and 1809, and the Treasury ordered Macquarie to investigate this. Further evidence of impropriety was found in the accounts for 1812, and in due course Fosbrook was charged with fraudulent conduct. In September 1813 Fosbrook was ordered to stand trial in Sydney. Francis Shipman's charges were not proceeded with due to the time since the actions had taken place. Leonard Fosbrook however was charged with other crimes. Although acquitted of embezzlement, was found guilty on 28 February 1814 of gross and criminal neglect of duty and fraudulent conduct. He was required to repay £550, was dismissed from his post and debarred from further service under the Crown.
Fosbrook returned to England on the whaler Seringapatam, late in 1814.
Edward Lord - Garrison - H.M.S. Calcutta
In 1803 he joined the expedition of Lieutenant David Collins and sailed on the Ocean to Port Phillip Bay. When Collins moved the settlement to Van Diemans Land, Lord was in the first contingent which sailed in January 1804. In the same year he built the first private house in Hobart Town.
In February 1805 he was granted sick leave to return to England, but after six months in Sydney he returned to Hobart with several ewes and a ram 'near the Spanish breed', the latter a gift from Governor King.
He was appointed first lieutenant on 3 December 1805 and a month later received his first grant of 100 acres of land. By October 1806 he was the largest stock-owner in Van Diemen's Land and within another year he was the senior officer there, subordinate only to Collins.
He again visited Sydney in April 1808, where he received favours from Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Foveaux. Among these favours were an appointment as magistrate and a grant of 500 acres which he selected on the Derwent River in Van Diemans Land, towards New Norfolk.
On 8 October 1808, soon after his return to Hobart, he married Maria Risely. He and Governor Bligh were in a dispute while the deposed governor was at Hobart Town from March to December 1809. Bligh complained that Edward Lord and William Collins kept a shop, contrary to regulations, and monopolized 'the advantages of Trade to the great Injury of the Settlement'.
When David Collins died unexpectedly on 24 March 1810 Lord took charge of the settlement and is said to have burned all the papers at Government House the same night. He applied to the secretary of state for the colonies to succeed Collins. Governor Lachlan Macquarie, who disliked Lord, sent Captain John Murray to take charge of Hobart Town and relieved Lord of his offices.
On the 20th October 1812, having learned that his application to succeed Collins had failed, Lord resigned his commission in the marines and the next day through the influence of his brother John Owen, M.P. received an order for a grant of 3000 acres of land. He took 1500 acres near Sydney and the other 1500 as part of the Orielton estate in Van Diemen's Land, which grew to 3500 acres.
In 1817 Lord was suspected of smuggling from the ship, the Kangaroo while it was at berth at Hobart. Lord thencharged Acting Commissary William Broughton with improper trading. Lord refused to go to Sydney to the court martial that Governor Macquarie and William Broughton had bought. Judge-Advocate Sir John Wylde criticized Lord and the officers in Hobart who had supported his accusations. Macquarie exonerated Broughton, describing Lord as 'vindictive and implacable'.
Lord returned to England late in 1819, where he told Earl Bathurst that he had been 'injured to an almost incalculable Amount' by Macquarie's 'harsh and unjust proceedings' and sought redress. Although his charges were refuted Earl Bathurst gave Macquarie an order to grant Lord a further 3000 acres.
Lord purchased the ship Caroline and returned to Van Diemen's Land in November 1820 with a large cargo of merchandise. On arrival he was appointed a magistrate. Soon afterwards he exchanged fourteen acres of land in Hobart for 7000 acres of land in the interior of Van Diemans Land. This 7000 acres along with his 3000 acres granted by Earl Bathurst became the nucleus of his noted estate, Lawrenny, on the River Clyde. At this time he was said to be the richest man in Van Diemen's Land.
As part of his empire the owner of three ships a warehouses in Hobart and Port Dalrymple, 6000 cattle, 7000 sheep and 35,000 acres. When the Van Diemen's Land Agricultural Society was founded on 1st January 1822 Lord became its first president and he was also an original proprietor of the Bank of Van Diemen's Land.
During 1822 he was accused of trying to bribe the head of the commissariat, but Governor Sir Thomas Brisbane was prevented from investigating the matter by Lord's departure to England in the Royal George which he had chartered to carry a shipment of wool. The ship was almost wrecked at Cape Town, which caused Lord 'serious Losses'. At this time he claimed assets in Van Diemen's Land of £200,000, and debts owing to him of £70,000.
While he was in England, he asked Earl Bathurst to grant Van Diemen's Land independence from New South Wales. He returned to Hobart briefly in 1824, and again in 1827. In 1828, leaving a manager in charge of his estates, Lord returned to England and settled at Downe, Kent. Edward Lord died at 12 Westbourne Terrace North, London, on 14 September 1859.
Charles Menzies (Sir) - Marine - H.M.S. Calcutta
In December 1803 he was promoted to lieutenant after he sailed to Port Phillip Bay with the Collins Settlement earlier that year in H.M.S. Calcutta. From there he sailed on H.M.S. Calcutta to Port Jackson where he commanded the detachment of marines which quelled the Vinegar Hill convict rebellion on 5th March 1804 at Rouse Hill, north west of Sydney.
On 18 March 1804, he was promoted to lead the expedition that established Newcastle, noth of Sydney. After a disagreement over authority at Newcastle he resigned and returned to England in March 1805 to resume duty with the Royal Marines.
Menzies played a notable part in the wars against Napoleon and was promoted captain in the Royal Marine Artillery in April 1813. He married Maria Wilhelmina, daughter of Dr Robert Bryant, physician to the Duke of Gloucester and had five children.
He commanded the Royal Marine Artillery from 1838 to 1844, progressing from major and lieutenant-colonel in 1837 to general in 1857. He was appointed aide-de-camp to the Queen in 1852, and was knighted in 1856. He died at Hastings Ehgland on 22 August 1866.
Matthew Bowden - Civil Official - Ocean
When David Collins moved the settlement to Van Diemans Land Bowden was one of the first ashore, landing at Frederick Henry Bay on the 12th February 1804. Bowden played a prominent role at Hobart attending to the sick.
He was granted 100 acres of land at Humphrey's Rivulet in August 1804 where he had a vegetable garden and crops, and began to acquire livestock. After attending Governor David Collins at his death in March 1810, he was appointed first assistant surgeon of the civil medical establishment in Hobart.
In October 1810 Governor Lachlan Macquarie granted him an additional 500 acres of land on the Derwent River. Bowden's sudden death on 23 October 1814 shocked the whole community of Hobart.
Thomas Clark - Civil Official - Ocean
After Collins decided to abandon Port Phillip Bay and move the settlement to Van Diemans Land, Clark, then in charge of the convicts, supervised the reloading of stores onto the Ocean.
In August 1804 Clark was put in charge of the government farm at New Town, where the colony's stock had been sent. In October 1807 Clark was transferred from this position, and took up residence in the main settlement at Hobart Town as storekeeper.
He was still in government employment when, with J. Barnes, he printed in 1810 Tasmania's first newspaper, the Derwent Star and Van Diemen's Land Intelligencer. This was a government journal that was edited by George Harris.
Thomas Clark was granted 100 acres of land which he finally located at Campania. He was appointed superintendent of convicts once more, but resigned in 1812. Clark passed away in December 1828, his death not being recorded in the press.
John Blinkworth - Free Settler - Ocean
John Blinkworth had previously been a convict at Port Jackson. He returned to England and was now on the Ocean as a free settler returning to be united with his de facto wife Elizabeth Cummings. They were married in Hobart in 1804.
Richard Pitt and Children, Salome, Philip and Francis - Free Settler - Ocean
Richard Pitt was born on the 3rd March 1765 at Tiverton, Devon, England. He married Jane Tanner also of Tiverton and they had four children.
In 1803 Richard Pitt, a free settler boardered the Ocean with one daughter, Salome, and two sons, Philip and Francis. The eldest, along with his wife stayed in England.
Pitt was made constable in Van Diemans Land and in December 1804 was granted 100 acres of land at Stainsforth's Cove (New Town),. He grew wheat and barley, built up herds of sheep and pigs, and by 1809 he and his children were no longer relying on the government for support.
He leased grazing land at the Green Ponds (Kempton) district, where his children also located grants. Pitt retained his farming interests, but gave increasing attention to official duties as district constable at New Town. On 14 February 1818 Pitt was appointed chief constable for Hobart Town.
Pitt seized the opportunity of his new standing to ask for a free passage to the colony for his wife. Governor Macquarie sent the request to London, but Mrs Pitt did not come. Richard Pitt was one of the most respectable colonist. He remained chief constable until his death at Hobart on 14 May 1826.
The three children who came with him on the Ocean all settled in Van Diemen's Land.
William and Elizabeth Cockerill - Fee Settlers - Ocean
William Cockerill migrated for green grass. He and his wife Elizabeth and their children William, Arabella and Ann. He became a successful farmer.
John and Hezekiah Hartley and son Joseph - Free Settlers - Ocean
John Hartley and his wife Hezekiah and son Joseph seemed to have had hope more than once. They migrated on the Ocean as free settlers in 1803 and then at some stage travelled to Port Jackson in NSW. They returned to England from Port Jackson and then migrated again to Port Jackson in 1809. The family then returned to England in 1813 and never returned to Australian shores again.
Anthony and Sarah Fletcher - Free Settlers - Ocean
Anthony Fletcher and his wife Sarah were terribly dashed. They had 2 babies. One died in May 1803 while the Ocean was at berth in Tenerife. While the Ocean was at berth in Rio de Janeiro Sarah Fletcher gave berth to a baby girl on 5th July. This little baby died at Port Philip heads in October 1803, just one day before arriving at Port Phillip Bay.